Family Vacation: Things to Do in Key West with Kids
It’s time to pack your family’s bags and head to the southernmost point in the United States for an epic Florida Keys getaway. Key West is a vibrant island paradise offering picturesque beaches, endless watersports, historic sites, fascinating museums, and plenty of activities for our youngest visitors. Discover the best things to do in Key West with kids, from snorkeling with marine life in our turquoise waters to walking among hundreds of colorful butterflies. When you are ready to book your trip, you can rest assured that Rent Key West Vacations has the perfect vacation rental for your family! Read on to learn more about our favorite experiences for families on and around the island of Key West.
Beaches & Water Activities for Families in Key West
Key West is a unique location where the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico meet, which means there are unlimited ways to have fun on the water. Popular watersports include scuba diving, snorkeling, parasailing, fishing, jet-skiing, and paddling. Rent your equipment from local companies like Sunset Watersports and Fury Key West Watersports. And if you are looking for the best beach to take the family to, we recommend:
The Top Things to Do in Key West with Kids
After you have spent time exploring the water, shake off your sea legs and discover endless things to do in Key West with kids:
- Key West Aquarium: Get up close and personal with Key West’s native marine life at the aquarium. Head to the touch tank to interact with marine life like sea urchins and conchs. There are also exhibits with sharks, sea turtles, and jellyfish where you can watch daily feedings, sign up for tours, and learn about conservation.
- Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory: This attraction allows visitors to stroll through a state-of-the-art enclosed tropical garden as 60 varieties of beautiful butterflies flutter around you.
- Conch Tour Train: Sign up for a “train” ride around Old Town Key West and see the best landmarks in town. The tour is led by a local guide who will take you on a journey through time with stories of local legends and fun history.
- Key West Shipwreck Museum: This is a one-of-a-kind Key West experience that will take you back to 1856 when the Isaac Allerton shipwrecked along the Florida Keys reef. The experience combines actors, films, and authentic artifacts to tell the tale of the shipwreck.
- Dry Tortugas: Although technically not on Key West, this National Park is worth the extra boat trip or seaplane excursion. The park is home to historic Fort Jefferson and some of the best snorkeling in North America.
- Don’t leave Key West without taking a family photo at the Southernmost Point buoy!
Spacious Key West Vacation Homes for Families
Escape to our tropical paradise and discover all the fun things to do in Key West with kids. Rent Key West Vacations offers everything you need to plan a successful family getaway with our collection of over 65 vacation rentals and convenient concierge services. Whether you want to stay in the heart of the historic district or near the beach, we have the perfect Key West vacation home for every family!